New Static Site Theme for World (Literature) Classics in Markdown e.g. A Tale of Two Cities, The Trial, etc.
Gerald Bauer
2015-07-16 22:48:11 UTC
Hello,

As a showcase I've converted a good old Gutenberg plain text world
(literature) classic to markdown.

See the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
by Robert Louis Stevenson [1] as an example.

Next I've put together a static site theme that lets you basically
drop all chapters into a _chapters folder and you're done, that is,
you get a great looking online live (e)book.

See the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde live version (demo) [2]
thanks to GitHub Pages (with built-in - surprise, surprise - Jekyll
processing ;-))

And finally the ready-to-fork theme/template repo/source [3].

Anyone else tried to convert world classics to Markdown
for generating great looking books? Any insight appreciated.
Questions? Comments? Welcome.

Cheers.

[1] https://github.com/writekit/classics--dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde
[2] http://drjekyllthemes.github.io/jekyll-book-theme
[3] https://github.com/drjekyllthemes/jekyll-book-theme
Scott Granneman
2015-07-17 04:19:40 UTC
Looks great, but I have a small quibble. Throughout the book, you have
used an en dash instead of an em dash, as here: “empty as a
church–till at last I got”. Might want to do a s/–/—/g & fix
that.

Cool work, though!

Scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
***@granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com

“UNIX was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things, as
that would also stop them from doing clever things.”
---Doug Gwyn
Gerald Bauer
2015-07-17 08:08:08 UTC
Hello,

Thanks for your kind words. Good point. I've added a issue ticket [1].

The dash gets converted by the Markdown processor - in this case
it's kramdown.

The dash in the source is just plain text e.g. -- Will see if
the "smarty pants" conversion can get configured in kramdown. Cheers.

[1] https://github.com/drjekyllthemes/jekyll-book-theme/issues/1
Gerald Bauer
2016-02-16 08:33:40 UTC
Hello,
FYI: I’ve put together a static site theme that lets you build
books w/ Gutenberg [1] - a web typography starter kit by Matej Latin
and Markdown - of course ;-). The theme uses the Sass source version
and gets auto-build using the GitHub Pages service. See the live
example [2] - “Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” by Robert
Louis Stevenson or the source repo [3].

Happy Jekylling. Cheers.

PS: Interested in static site builder / generators news (incl.
Markdown and friends)? Follow along the new Static Times channel on
twitter @statictimes [4].

[1] http://matejlatin.github.io/Gutenberg
[2] http://henrythemes.github.io/jekyll-gutenberg-theme
[3] https://github.com/henrythemes/jekyll-gutenberg-theme
[4] https://twitter.com/statictimes
Piero Wbmstr
2015-07-17 05:35:10 UTC
Hello all,
Great work Gerald!

Your theme seems to be a good basis for others. I would use Bootstrap
for a better rendering by default but this is a personal choice ;)

In the same spirit (but not the same goal), I made some "Markdown dummy
data" from two whole public domain books with notes and images:
- "A TEXT-BOOK OF ASTRONOMY" by GEORGE C. COMSTOCK [1]
- "True Stories of Wonderful Deeds" [2]

They are designed to be test contents for WebDocBook [3] but can be used
for any other usage as it is written with raw Markdown (using the
Extended syntax).
As you may see, the rendering almost works "as-is" on GitHub browser
viewer (even for images).

Do not hesitate to fork the original repo and use it according to your
needs.

Regards.

[1] https://github.com/wdbo/dummy-data/tree/master/sub-chapter2
[2] https://github.com/wdbo/dummy-data/tree/master/sub-chapter1
[3] https://github.com/wdbo/webdocbook
Post by Gerald Bauer
[...]

*Pierre Cassat* /aka/ @piwi
web developer & musician - Paris, France
e-piwi.fr <http://e-piwi.fr/> // ***@e-piwi.fr <mailto:***@e-piwi.fr>

/Ensemble, ayons une démarche responsable : n'imprimez cet email que si
nécessaire.
Together, have a responsible approach: do not print this email unless
necessary./
Gerald Bauer
2015-07-17 07:42:35 UTC
Hello,

Thanks for your kind words and thanks for highlighting the WebDocBook
project and the sample book. Great initiative. Keep it up.
I would use Bootstrap for a better rendering by default but this is a
personal choice ;)

Good point. On purpose the template is as minimalistic as possible and,
thus, does not use Boostrap. The idea is that everyone can add whatever is
missing (instead of first taking out stuff and cleaning up).

To get startet w/ Boostrap may I highlight the jekyll-bootstrap-theme
[1]. Works like a charm with Jekyll (and GitHub Pages) out-of-the box -
not just the "static" version but - of course - the source version in scss
;-) / lets you easily change variables/constants in _settings.sccs, for
example.

Cheers.

[1] https://github.com/drjekyllthemes/jekyll-bootstrap-theme
Shane McCarron
2016-02-17 00:03:43 UTC
Wow - that's impressive!

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:45 PM, bowerbird via Markdown-Discuss <
gerald-
congratulations on the new wrinkle...
***
speaking of meet-ups....
http://viennahtml.github.io
congratulations to kramdown for being
selected the github-approved converter.
which means it'd sure be nice to have a
javascript implementation of kramdown.
because i can now say, unequivocally,
that commonmark excels in this arena.
https://github.com/jgm/commonmark.js
http://zenmagiclove.com/simple/commonmark-moby.html
i've shown conversion-time in the title-bar.
when you can convert a file like moby dick
(1.2 megs) in under a second, you've got
awesome client-side power working for you.
-bowerbird
Shane McCarron